Sculptra® is a filler which contains PLLA, alpha-hydroxy acid poly-L-lactic acid, which is used for numerous medical applications besides dermal injections. This substance is injected deep into the dermal layer. Not only does it strengthen the skin ‘s structure, it also stimulates your body towards the development of new collagen, helping to gradually restore facial wrinkles and folds to fullness. This results in a smoother look that is more vigorous and youthful. You can see immediate effects, but the full results of your treatment can take a couple of months to see. Your specialist in Sculptra® will work with you to decide the number of therapy sessions needed to obtain the best outcome.
Sculptra® can be used used for treating shallow to deep facial folds and wrinkles. The most commons areas for treatment are:
- Nasolabial folds (the “smile lines” extending from the nose to the corners of the mouth)
- Marionette lines (extend vertically down the chin from the corners of the mouth)
- Hollows or skin depressions, such as sunken cheeks
- Chin wrinkles
Sculptra® can also be used off-label for areas other than the face:
- Butt augmentations and butt lifts
- Hip augmentation
- Treatment of cellulite
- Treatment of elbow, knee and chest wrinkles
Sculptra® is not recommended to be used in areas around the eyes or lips.